Thursday 16 April 2009

To Anglo- Good old memories !


the biggest calamar ever !

from a distance



demolition .....

old fishing boats no longer in use



seems like cemetery for boats......


Hag. Mustafa with morning catch of mughzil( white and blue fish )
!


fishermans son Mahmoud
wild Al rayes( son of head of fishermen)




fishermen just coming in if you click the pic enlarge

the cars that you in the distance are all fishermen's cars parked ;them being still at sea


this how the calimar is caught ie the bait
fishing net



old unused boats and garbage
freshly caught calamar


with mochiata in one hand and the cigarette in the other young fishermen -typical of all young Libyans

crushed ice for the catch
Al :

This ones for you as its near the old Underwater Club where you used to live or in fact just behind it.

Do you remember ????


I go for long walks in the mornings and during my walk I sometimes buy fish from none other than the Gergarish fishermen !The site has been demolished all around them yet they still continue to strive and go fishing some as a hobby others to make a living. I like to buy from them cause they are nearby and I get to see them come in with their catch of the day.
The Gergarish Fishermen get up very early before Fejer (dawn ,sunrise)and come in at around 9.30 10 .00 am.

We have a great fish market just recently made near where the old one used to be in the Tripoli harbour but its so crowded and I just detest crowds !
Here its so peaceful and everyone knows me though I'm the only lady that buys from them !Many people are scared from the Gergarish people due everything being available in the area from any liquor to drugs. But the fishermen are another story they are real gentlemen and are so kind. Sometimes they wont even take any money from me. So what do I do ? I cant refuse as it would be rude . Next time I come I bring them a flask of Libyan strong sweetened tea cake and caak( Libyan cookies).

Some of them are old and grouchy while others are neat and clean ,but they all share and have one thing in common that of the sea....and that folks is what I share with them . I love our sea side as it brings back old memories. I remember my father when I used to go fishing with him on Fridays, as he loved the sea so much ; guess I inherited it from him . Once he told me ,he wished he could die in the sea so the fish would eat him little by little . I never quite figured out why he'd say that, and it used to scare me stiff. My father taught me how to swim ;by throwing me into the sea yep he'd throw me in and jump in after me after having gulped so much sea water and crying for him to come to me,he'd say "Come on L stop being a baby,you're a fisherman's daughter and my first born and I cant have you not knowing how to swim !"

2 comments:

  1. Dear Luna,

    yes I do remember this area, I used to go with friends and watch the fishermen, some became friends with us and yes even then that area was known for buying alcoholic drinks but that is only one side of it, I used to spend most of my time in the underwater club but we lived in Hai Alandalus sort of behind AlMukhtar book shop, if it still exists, our street had the big water storage tank.
    even with all the rubbish and demolition which is a big shame, the pictures are still beautiful, thank you so much and Allah bless you always, my kind of post, really loved it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carissima H,

    Thanks.
    Glad you like my post !
    Just thought Id share with my friends.Med fish is best .Never liked ocean fish!
    bacioni

    Al,
    I sent you an email . Seems you didn't get it.RSVP..... Please send map of where you lived.
    Happy you enjoyed it.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete